Are you new to our design team? Or do you have a new computer and you’re looking for some backup? You are in the right place!
1. Start with Abstract & Sketch
Both sketch and abstract are absolutely the most fundamental tools you’ll need. A number of other tools we use are connected to or integrated with Sketch. Our design version control tool, Abstract, is one such tool, and it’s essential for our design system as well.
Abstract also allows us to maintain all our design files in one place. Last but not least, it connects all Sketch files to the Orbit UI kit. As a result, every designer has easy access to Orbit components and text styles.
If you’ve never worked with Abstract before, please check it out and familiarize yourself with how it works.
Be sure to install Sketch into the Applications folder. It's necessary for future updates of the application and for work with the Abstract shared libraries.
Once you have Sketch & Abstract installed, there are two simple steps to do:
- Write on Slack to #pls-devs-assist and ask @lucie.kyselkova for a Sketch License.
- If you haven’t already been invited to Abstract and our design folders in Dropbox, write @honza and he’ll fix that immediately
Visit our Dropbox folder with fonts and install Roboto and Circular Pro fonts.
3. Essential plugins for Sketch
For ease-of-use and some necessary workarounds, we rely on a few simple plugins.
This plugin will manage your color palette in Sketch. Download the plugin, install it and follow these 3 simple steps:
- Go to Sketch, from the top menu select Plugins > Sketch Palettes > Load Palette, it will open a dialog
- Select file orbit.sketchpalette from Dropbox Kiwi.com / UI Kit / sketch-palette or download it here.
- Change source in the following dialog to Global Presets and that’s it. Your color picker now contains all our colors!
Clear all colors from palette before you load new colors into it. This will ensure that there won't be any color mismatch.