When to use
- To present multiple options that can each be selected.
- To offer help or error handling for simple settings.
- For changes that require confirmation after selection.
When not to use
- When only one of multiple options can be selected—use a radio.
- You want to group multiple options together into a single basic choice—use a choice group.
- For single on/off settings with an instant response—use a switch.
Support progressive disclosure
Write positive labels
Receive emails with personalized offers
Passport has no expiration
Turn notifications off
Select to opt out of emails with personalized offers
I need to enter dates for my passport expiration
Use parallel labels
Plane, Bus, Train
Trip deals, Newsletter, Booking information
Cabin bag, Checked bag, Special meal
Fly, Drive, Train
Trip deals, Get our newsletter, Get booking info in your inbox
Cabin bag, Checked bag, Choose what you want to eat