When to use
- To keep small bits content off of the initial screen but still only a tap away.
- For short content or interactions that aren’t necessary to the main flow.
- For content that still might interest users and can be revealed through progressive disclosure.
- To add interactions or choices in the context of the current screen.
When not to use
- For large and/or structured content—use a modal.
- To interrupt the main flow—use a modal or dialog.
- For one choice less related to the current screen—use a dialog.
- For static, short information—use a tooltip.
- To add hidden information to the screen itself—use a collapse.