When to use
- To present a few options where only one can be selected.
When not to use
- When you have many options—use a select.
- When multiple options can be selected—use a checkbox.
- For single on/off settings with an instant response—use a switch.
- You want to group multiple options together into a single basic choice—use a choice group.
Support progressive disclosure
Show multiple options, but not too many
Use parallel labels
Nonstop, Up to 1 stop, Up to 2 stops
Resolved, Waiting for response, Postponed
Vegan, Vegetarian, Pescatarian
Nonstop, 1 stop or fewer, Up to 2 stops
Resolved, I’m waiting for a response, We’re not doing this now
Vegan, A meal without meat, It can include fish